Tuesday, July 04, 2006

movin' on up

I was moving to an appartment. I was moving back home (although I live there now) from someplace else and I was looking for a place to live. I went to a bunch of really nice appartments and I didn't know how I was going to afford any of them. I was also concerned about storage but my aunt reminded me that my mom was close and she could keep some of my stuff if I didn't have room for it.

At least two of the buildings we went to had problems with the elevators. We would push a button and go past the floor. Sometimes it would stop at the right floor, but as soon as I took a step towards the door it would close and move again. This went on for a long time. We were trying to get off on the third floor but the elevator would only let us off on the fifth.

Finally we both got off on the fifth floor and took seperate elevators back down to the third floor. My aunt's seemed to work fine, but mine would not let me on.

In one building I was spending the night-sort of like a test drive, I suppose. I was laying in bed kind of half sleeping and I heard someone moving around in the alley below. I looked out the window and saw a man pulling a flute out of a case. He started playing it.

When he saw me watching him he motioned for me to come down. I didn't say anything but I nodded. I put on a jacket and a hat and I started down the stairs.

Since I didn't really live there I didn't know exactly how to get to the alley. After a lot of searching I finally realized that the only way was to go through the basement of my biulding and the one next door. I had to go through a series of tunnels and I had to climb and crawl in some spots. Finally I made it out there, where I was joined by a friend of mine.

My friend said he was there to make sure I was OK, he didn't hang out with us, he just sat a few yards away and watched.

The man I was going down to meet had also been joined by a few friends. I asked him if there was a better way to get to the alley from the building. He said that there was only one way (the long way I went) and that pretty soon they would be closing it off because there was some kind of construction being done to the second building. I wouldn't be able to come back.